Sunday, February 6, 2011

Coming Out of the Fog: First Impressions of Japan

I feel that we are coming out of a fog of jetlag. Matthias turned the corner on Saturday night and started to sleep much better at night. He still isn't sleeping in longer stretches like he was before we left. But he's sleeping at night, waking up to eat, and then going back to sleep. I'll take it! Coming out of the fog has good and bad aspects. I feel much better physically, but now I have enough brain cells functioning to feel homesick. And that's completely natural and normal, but still sad. I definitely miss my family and friends. And the English language (see number 4 below).

So, here are my first main impressions. I'm sure I will elaborate on these later and start putting up more pics, but here's a start.

1. Everything is smaller.

Spaces: Restaurants, cafes, shops, aisles at the grocery store, elevators, sidewalks, washing machines, you name it. Exception: Our apartment is huge! It is the largest one we have ever lived in, thanks to the company's generous housing policy.

Packages: Milk and juice come in liters, bread in packs of 8 slices, meat in 150 g packages (about 1/3 pound) Exception: Rice is available in HUGE bags.

People: Almost everyone is thin (probably partially due to those small packages and portion sizes) and most women have dainty feet. My usually average shoe size (8 in the US, 24 in Japan) is now the next to largest commonly available. Exception: People on Japanese TV commercials, who are marginally overweight, yet seem to be marketing every diet fad imaginable and using tortuous looking e-stim devices to flatten their abs.

2. Everyone seems polite.

I have yet to see someone acting rude or even remotely annoyed. The salespeople at stores constantly remind you they are at your service, crowds of people walk in an orderly fashion, and everyone makes way for the baby stroller. Men and women open doors for one another, people attempt to help even if they don't speak English, and everyone bows. ALL the time.

3. Women are very fashionable.

This ranges from the classy ensembles of working women, to the date night clothes of sweethearts, to the wild get-ups of teenagers and 20-somethings. Jeans are rare, and if spotted, are definitely skinny and paired with tall boots, not sneakers or flats. Sneakers are almost non-existent. Skirts and dresses are much more common here among all ages and are paired with tights or leggings and boots or high heels. There are girls dressed in Harajuku style with bleached or streaked hair, dramatic makeup, and brightly colored, stare-at-me outfits. I'll have to get some good photos to share.

4. I really, really wish I spoke and/or read Japanese.

It is harder than I thought it would be to shop for basic items, use appliances, read maps, order food, the whole nine yards. There are English words smattered here and there and many pictures on packaging, but still, trying to figure out ingredients, cooking directions, or washing cycles is tough. I've gotta squeeze in some more Rosetta Stone!


3 comments:

  1. Looking forward to photos Katie.. of your apartment, your view, YOUR BABY! Love and hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wondering- Does it feel more urban? Well, I suppose most places would compared to Carroll County or my current neck of the woods, NC. I realized I was picturing Tokyo as one giant Times Square and thought to myself- "that can't be entirely accurate!"

    ReplyDelete
  3. cannot wait to follow along in this journey...how exciting!! I've never been to Asia, so I'm curious to see how the cultures are different...and I got a good taste of that from your post today! hang in there with the differences, you'll be so happy that you jumped into this experience. much love, {av}

    ReplyDelete