Saturday, April 16, 2011

Saturday Scene - Tokyo Edition

I am so excited to link up with Katie at Loves of Life for our Saturday Morning Scene!
Saturday Morning Scene

We woke up late this morning after an exhausting week and a late night with Matthias.  Philip said those three little words I love to hear on a weekend morning..."I'm getting donuts."  And since we live in the middle of a sprawling metropolis and don't own cars, Philip hopped on his trusty bike and headed off to get some deliciousness!


One of the things that surprised me about Tokyo was the number of French-themed bakeries and patisseries scattered around town.  We get our bread (and sometimes our baked goods) at this little spot.

Chez Lui

Mmm...donuts!  Many baked goods in Japan are green because they are made with green tea.


I'm sure it was difficult for Philip to stay focused with all the yumminess here!

My hunky guy bringing home the bacon donuts!
When Philip came home, I was just finishing giving Matthias his "breakfast."  Philip put together a lovely meal highlighting delicious cinnamon donuts and we headed out to our balcony, because the weather was absolutely GORGEOUS.

The breakfast and the baby are so NOM-able!

Adoring my sweet boy.

Come to Mama!

Looks like he enjoyed his breakfast.

Pretty soon he'll be wanting to share my donut.
Like so many moments these days, our blissful little time was suddenly interrupted by an aftershock.  My chair started quivering and my coffee sloshed in my mug.  This aftershock wasn't very big, but each one is a reminder of what happened in Tohoku and what could happen here in Tokyo.  We have to cling to the words of Psalm 62:1-2 (NIV): Truly my soul finds rest in God; my salvation comes from him.  Truly He is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken.



8 comments:

  1. Your morning looks SO fabulous. And I'm drooling over here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just found your blog. Those donuts look delicious! Can't wait to hear more about your life in Tokyo - new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks wonderful! It would have been better if he had brought home bacon donuts. Mmmm...salty mapley goodness... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love you guys! Thank you for the precious updates and sharing the events of your lives. I love reading these. This one especially gives me peace in my soul. Thank you.

    Love the picture of Matthias. Actually, I love all the pics!

    Love you,
    Mom C

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stopping by from SMS and now following along as you guys start off on your adventure in Tokyo with a new little one (I'm a new momma myself to a baby girl born in October 2010 too). Your breakfast looked wonderful! I hope you guys have a wonderful and SAFE Saturday - thinking of you guys and those aftershocks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those are monster donuts!!! And they look so yummy! I'm jealous!!! Your son is SO CUTE!!

    http://kskspot.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tokyo?? Oh my! New follower, and i'm quite excited to hear about this adventure. =)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow. I wouldn't mind trying a green tea doughnut. And prayers for you and everyone affected!

    ReplyDelete